Thursday, April 15, 2010

About how do I find jobs w/ no work or volunteer experience

How do I find jobs w/ no work or volunteer experience?
I graduated from Bakersfield College this spring & got my Associate's in Accounting. The problem is is that I'm approaching all these businesses in town, filling out applications, & walking out feeling pessimistic 'cause I know they would hire someone else w/ more experience. & my resume is embarrassingly light; no work or volunteer experience. Even some temp agencys require that I need work exp.! Damn! What do I oughta do the next time I respond 2 a "Help Wanted" sign by a store's window or once I registered on Home Depot.com hoping that there's a job available 4 me?
Other - Careers & Employment - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The only way to find jobs like that is just what you're doing. Keep looking, don't give up. Eventually you'll find a job that will hire you because of your lack of experience. Some jobs hire like that because they want their hirees to learn things the way they do it. Just don't give up!
2 :
Just keep plugging away. You need to keep a positive attiude because a negative one will kill you in an interview. You may want to network more and quit just shotgunning your resume to every company in town that has accountants. You're not helping your self-esteem that way. In the meantime, you can get some volunteer experience. I've rarely heard of a non-profit turning away anyone wanting to help. There is also nothing wrong with taking a job for the short term while you look to start your career.
3 :
Have you considered a home business? I have been a tradesman all my life and decided to go out and make my own money. Just beware of all the scams out there. If they tell you "It's get rich fast"....RUN THE OTHER DIRECTION. I have teamed up with a group of great people(mostly stay at home moms), many of which are turning six figure incomes, and are willing to mentor me to achieve my goals. this cost me nothing! I would be happy to introduce you to this group, again, for free if you are interested in controlling your own destiny. copy and paste www.saferhealtherhomes.com (check the spelling if you do this manually), read it over and my contact info is on this site. Best of luck to you in whatever you pursue.....Wes
4 :
Check with a Church, non for profit organization of sorts. That's where I had my first opportunity for work experience when I was a teenager. I already had office skills and received a $20 transportation stipend. I did this one summer and it was all I needed to put the experience on my resume. Best wishes.
5 :
First, try applying at smaller businesses. Typically, their salary offers will be smaller and most experienced employees will expect larger salaries. You might also think of finding somewhere to START volunteering and that can only help your resume and keep your skills growing. It might also open up some opportunities you had not thought about previously. It certainly couldn't hurt, you could gain experience, AND do some good at the same time. What a deal! That being said, it does make me wonder what the heck you did all through school. You sat around every summer with headphones in your ears bobbing your head? Hopefully you did SOMETHING that could be put on a resume.
6 :
Why build some one Else's wealth when you can build your own. Go to push.topgunsuccess.com. personal development, training and a lot of fun.
7 :
check this link its good http://workathomefreelancingdataentryworks.blogspot.com/ .
8 :
well that is right myabe you need ot take a few jobs out thee menial to help get some experience and get moving on. it only takes a year or so to get going. try it can help bring a smile toyour face sooner then you belive.
Read more other entries :